Comforsa (Comercial de Forja) S.A. was set up in the late 1980s to enable the viability of two long-standing companies: Farga Casanova and Taga, both from the Ripollès area of Catalonia, a region traditionally closely linked to forging activity with a significant impact on the economic and social sectors.
Comforsa’s development has built on the long tradition of metal forging in Catalonia, whose origins date back to the Middle Ages, and has combined this with the latest technology, constant innovation and an in-depth understanding of the industry and markets. The company’s goal is to grow and strengthen its capacity to develop and manufacture solutions in the form of forged, machined and treated elements.
1652: first written reference to the Campdevànol forge
1875: Farga Grau forge producing iron and farming tools using the traditional Catalan forging process
1924: Farga Casanova S.A. set up
1951: purchase of the Ripoll plant belonging to Hispano Suiza, a company from the car-building sector, the first forge in Spain for stamping crankshafts and front axles
1965: setting up of SA TAGA for machining and marketing crankshafts
1966: acquisition of the heavy forging section of the Spanish Naval Construction Company
1973: new forging plant set up in Campdevànol for producing large volumes
1988: constitution of Comercial de la Forja SA (Comforsa) in order to convert the La Farga Casanova industrial group
1996: dissolution of La Farga Casanova and SA TAGA. Assets, employees and businesses acquired by Comforsa